Digital strategy consulting is the process through which you create a marketing action plan to help achieve your overall business goals. To accomplish this, you must first optimise all your online support to reach your desired audience, project the intended brand image, and convey the right message.
Before leaping ahead and beginning the optimisation of your online media, it is absolutely necessary to start at the beginning by researching your market and defining your plan!
Elements for a successful digital strategy:
1. First things first: the definition of what your digital strategy should achieve.
Before striving to achieve goals, one must first define them. A digital strategy should clearly articulate the following:
- The Goals: What are your objectives? Is it brand awareness, customer retention, customer acquisition, or sales? While business owners often aspire to pursue multiple goals simultaneously, it is crucial to analyse and prioritise efforts and budget accordingly.
- The Who: Whom do you want to reach? Identify your target audience(s) before consulting a digital strategy professional. A skilled consultant can assist in segmenting your audience, providing insights into the pain points of your target demographic.
- The What: What are you attempting to sell? Whether it’s a concept, a product, or a service, clearly define the benefits and features. A digital marketing consultant can help you navigate through a potentially lengthy list of features and benefits, guiding you to focus on a select few for your strategy.
- The How Much: Determine the quantity or sales target you aim to achieve and within what timeframe. Define your budget constraints and desired outcomes. This step is best taken after addressing the first three points, as it provides a foundation for establishing SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-Bound).
2. The foundation of all successful marketing strategies lies in thorough research.
Business owners often desire to dive straight into advertising or website design, perceiving research as a waste of money and time. BIG mistake! Without comprehensive research, allocating a budget to media, copy, design, and advertising is like gambling!
Research plays a pivotal role in understanding four crucial aspects:
Current Market Dynamics: What is happening in the market right now?
Audience Preferences: What does your audience want, and how do they respond?
Competitor Landscape: Who are your competitors?
Competitor Strategies: What are your competitors doing, both commendable and detrimental?
3. Data analysis as the pivot of your marketing strategy
In the fast-paced world of digital marketing, thorough data analysis is crucial for strategic success. Beyond numbers, the data collected during research acts as the compass guiding your brand’s trajectory. By decoding this information, you not only define a unique angle that resonates with your audience but also provide you with a competitive edge.
According to Forbes, analytics go beyond mere numerical data; they serve as a reservoir of insights into your customers’ requirements and behaviours. They play a crucial role in shaping your marketing strategies for the individuals likely to utilise your service or purchase your product.
Analysing your competitors’ strengths, weaknesses, and strategic moves reveals opportunities to navigate barriers and carve out a distinctive space.
Your analysis should answer the following questions:
- Which digital channels promise optimal short and long-term ROI?
- Are there any low-hanging fruits?
- What should be your brand strategy?
- What should be your content strategy?
With these insights, you can craft a brand and content strategy that authentically resonates with your audience, allowing data to steer the course toward marketing success.
4. Assembling your digital strategy plan
A digital marketing strategy, also known as a digital marketing plan or digital strategy plan, aims to piece together various elements like a puzzle to unveil the complete picture. It furnishes a detailed plan, rooted in market research, to accomplish your SMART goals through meticulous marketing research and analysis.
Importantly, a marketing strategy is not a theoretical concept but an actionable, detailed plan aimed at achieving tangible results.
5. What channels should your digital marketing strategy consider?
Your digital marketing strategy should encompass various channels to effectively convey your branding and messaging. Your selection and use of channels should be carefully considered in your strategy, taking into account the pros and cons of each, as outlined below:
Website: This must-have, versatile tool serves multiple purposes, including providing information for brand awareness, generating traffic through SEO, or converting leads from multiple sources. It plays a crucial role in your overall digital presence.
SEO (Search Engine Optimisation): SEO involves optimising your website and its content to achieve a higher ranking in search engines. While it may seem complex and intimidating, SEO is a long-term strategy requiring time and resources. It’s an investment in time, money, and effort, with results that unfold gradually. The huge advantage of SEO, when correctly thought out and implemented, is that the cost of the lead dramatically decreases the longer you do it, as you do not pay per click but per monthly service.
Social Media: Contrary to the misconception that social media is a powerful direct sales channel, its strength lies in brand awareness and engagement. Social media platforms are highly competitive, and users typically seek entertainment. While direct sales are possible, they are generally low for high investment. The primary goal is to make your brand discoverable and engaging.
Search Engine Ads: Similar to SEO, search engine ads are keyword-based, reaching individuals actively searching for what you offer. Effective for quick sales, they can be costly in the long term and may be susceptible to bot traffic, resulting in a waste of marketing budget.
Social Media Ads: While social media ads can rapidly increase brand awareness, they are often costly and risk being overlooked due to platform overload. It’s an effective tool for exposure, but it may not always translate into direct sales.
Email Marketing (EDM): Email marketing is invaluable for maintaining engagement. It enhances customer retention, facilitates upselling, and nurtures leads by building a relationship. However, poorly executed email campaigns can harm your reputation and be perceived as spam. Careful planning and execution are essential for success.
Strategic planning for success: conclusion
In summary, digital success relies on strategic planning and execution. Clear objectives, thorough research, and data analysis, form the foundation of an effective digital strategy and plan. Choosing the right digital channels, from websites to social media and email marketing, is crucial to communicating your message to the right audience.
By adhering to these principles, businesses can navigate the digital landscape and achieve their goals with purposeful engagement.
Want to learn more about our digital strategy and web design services? Look at our Strategy + Web Design & Development packages.
Luxury brands must aspire to perfection in every aspect of their approach to their target audience. A bespoke marketing strategy is an absolute necessity when
What’s new for your business in 2023? If, like most business owners, one of your goals for 2023 is business growth, digital marketing must be