Hi there, I’m Maddy, the co-owner of Sydney Digital Agency. With a father and 4 uncles working in construction, I know that tradies are too busy to spend hours online trying to figure out what they need to market their services and generate customers.
If this sounds familiar, and you’re feeling stuck; don’t worry- I will break it down for you! Let’s explore the 4 steps to high-performance marketing for tradies.
STEP 1: First thing’s first! Decide what jobs and clients you want, and find out how to get them!
The process of starting your marketing isn’t that different from building a house.
You need to decide what you are expecting from your marketing, understand who your competition is and what their digital marketing strategies are so that you can design a competitive plan before starting the work. It’s very much like conducting a site assessment and drafting your plans before the construction phase begins.
STEP 2: A professional website: a turning point in marketing for tradies
Your website is what will convert a visitor into a paying customer. It’s the most important point of a marketing strategy for tradies, as it will be the platform that convinces a customer in need of your services to contact you. You can think of a website like a building’s foundations: if this is not executed properly, the whole thing may still collapse. Designing a flawless website is necessity for tradies. It is the foundation and first impression of your local business. Make sure you get it designed from reputed agency.
Points to consider:
- Are you providing all the necessary info in a clear manner?
- Is your website easy to use?
- Is it built for Search Engine Optimisation?
- Is the user experience and content designed to build trust?
Want to get inspired? Check our web design portfolio!
STEP 3: Lead prospects to your website
Foundation and footings done? Time to begin on the structure!
A great website without traffic is as useful as footings without walls and a roof! To convert website visitors into paying customers, you first need to bring them to your site. So… how to do that? There are a few options, however, for tradies, here are my recommendations:
- SEO: Search Engine Optimisation is the process of improving your site to increase its visibility when people search for products or services related to your business on Google, Bing, and other search engines. The better visibility your pages have in search results, the more likely you are to attract attention and prospective customers to your business.
SEO is THE BEST OPTION for tradies coupled with flawless Google My Business optimisation, it will lead local customers straight to your website!
For this reason, it’s also the most popular option and therefore it takes time to get results, it’s all about getting ahead of your competitors. This method is the most profitable long-term strategy that you can use.
This method is the most profitable long-term strategy that you can use.
- Google Ads: Google Ads are clickable results in SERP when your potential customers are searching for them. It is one of the most beneficial formats of ads for lead generation objectives. Hence, it is the most suitable option for tradies. Compared to SEO, it is quite pricey, but also a faster way to get leads.
STEP 4: Don’t waste a good client
Now… you get your customers; you do a great job, and the customers are happy. Given your wise investment in a sound marketing strategy, it makes economic sense to retain these customers for future business.
Keeping a previously happy client engaged is crucial to getting more business from them.
True, you most likely won’t get business from them immediately after you finish the work. But let’s say that you are a plumber, you get a job for a leaky tap, fix it and the client was happy with your performance and pricing. 8-months later, they decided to re-do their bathroom, and obviously, they want to hire someone they know they can trust. Don’t let them forget you!
How to do that?
- Email marketing: I’m going to be honest; I have little time for cold emails and do not recommend them; they rarely work. However, if you have already had a successful contact with this customer, sending interesting emails with tips or specials enables you to stay at the forefront of their minds, so when the day arrives that they need another job done, they most likely call you!
- Social Media: The same principle is here as email marketing. Getting new clients from social media rarely works for tradies; it doesn’t matter what Social Media agencies say, the only one that will make money out of it is the platform themselves! Why? Simply because the most of tradies’ jobs are need-based. Put yourself in the shoes of the customers: if your house is flooding or your electricity is cut off, what will you do: browse on Instagram or search on Google and call the first company that takes care of such emergencies?
Social media, very much like email marketing, will help existing clients remember you when they need you, but rarely leads to new clients for tradies.
Marketing for Tradies:
Very much like building a house, marketing is all about planning and rigorous implementation. Marketing isn’t magic. It can enable you to build a very profitable business but requires strategy and consistency.
Don’t have the time to take care of your marketing? Don’t worry, give us a call, we understand marketing for tradies. Let us take care of it so you can keep focused on your core business.
Looking to get a head start?
Check out our special : 40% off our Marketing Strategy + website packages for tradies.
Did you know that 46% of all Google searches are looking for local information? If you own a small or medium local business, your business
In a time when tradies are absolutely crushed under the demand of their services, most of them do not have the time to think about
Before diving into MUM update, the new algorithm that will supposedly change the SEO game let’s understand what Google Algorithm Updates are and how they